Hi! I’m the author of The Spooky Chronicles.
One of the most common questions I’m asked is, “Are these books okay for my child?” While I don’t exclusively write fiction for young adults, my intent with this series is to write the kind of books I couldn’t find when I was ten years old (to be honest, I was reading Stephen King back then). However, the best answer to your question is this:
PLEASE READ THE BOOKS YOURSELF TO DETERMINE IF THEY ARE APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR CHILD.
Only you know what your child can handle and what they cannot. You can download a free edition of one of the books to try out first.
The Spooky Chronicles includes elements such as:
- a dead boy who is still growing up;
- dealing with having special abilities different from others;
- dealing with having certain handicaps different from others;
- dangerous or potentially deadly situations;
- bad things sometimes happening to both good and bad characters;
- characters not always doing the right or correct thing;
- fortune telling, witches, monsters, and magical objects;
- paranormal entities including ghosts and the living dead.
Book reviewers have written the following regarding age level:
“There’s nothing crude or overt, however (there are no F-Bombs here). It remains age-appropriate, just with a little added bite. Think ‘Harry Potter’ and you’ll be on the right track.”
~ Joshua Skye, DarkMedia.com
“This novella, in my opinion, is written with a young adult audience in mind more than the adult reader. However, as an adult (or so I’ve been told that I am a few times), I did enjoy reading it.”
~ J.R. Jackson, BuyZombie.com
“The story flowed nicely, and I would honestly put it in the same class as the early RL Stine books for maintaining interest.”
~ Dennis Wemm, Theater-Guy
I hope you and your family have as much fun reading The Spooky Chronicles as I did writing them. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Kevin A. Ranson
Author of The Spooky Chronicles